Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 10, 2011


Wedding Anniversary in 2009


I found out today that my kidney function is so reduced that I need to consider dialysis and transplantation. I am devastated by this news, although not surprised. I have only one kidney, and I've known for months that my kidney function was declining. My nephrologist and internist have been tracking my function, and the rate of decline took a steep downward step starting about 3 months ago.  At the end of July I had a kidney biopsy, which showed damage from high blood pressure and athersclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

I am writing this blog to have a place to express my feelings, to rant and rave at the unfairness of it all, and to have a place to collect my thoughts, keep a list of things I need/want to do (my bucket list), and to keep a record of what happens along the way. 

A little history may be in order. In 1972, my father was diagnosed with terminal renal failure. We were told that he had less than a week to live unless we could somehow come up with at least $15,000 to pay for dialysis. I was a graduate student at the University of Texas at that time, and I had a hard time rubbing 2 dimes together; $15,000 might as well have been $15 million. I am the oldest of 4 children, and I felt compelled to try to save my dad. But I was at a total loss about how to come up with so much money. At that time, Medicare did not cover the cost of dialysis, although Congress was already working on a bill to cover that.

Fortunately, a volunteer at the hospital was able to determine that my dad's insurance policy was still in effect, and got a commitment from the insurer to pay for the dialysis.  My dad underwent hemodialysis at home for about a year, at which point he was strong enough for a transplant. I donated my left kidney to him in September 1973. He quickly regained his strength and vitality, and once again began planning for the future. He died less than 6 months later; the kidney was working fine until the last, but he suffered a brain hemorrhage that killed him in his sleep on March 7, 1974.  At his funeral, I had a weird sensation knowing that a physical part of me was going into the grave with him, that part of me had died.

I've lived a full and normal life all these years with only one kidney. I was married to Richard Wackerbarth from 1967 to 1977, including the time of the transplant. We divorced in 1977 and I remained unmarried until 1997, when I married Ramiro DeLa Fuente. I practiced environmental law in Dallas and Houston from 1977 to 2005, at which time Ramiro and I moved to Arkansas to retire. We didn't stay retired, however, and both of us went to work in Fayetteville, AR. Ramiro retired again in 2008; I'm still working as of this writing, but I can see that I will likely need to quit, either because my health won't permit it, or because the schedule of dialysis will interfere with it. Even if I can work a schedule around it, I won't want to work in an office on the days that I don't do dialysis--at this point, I want to spend every moment that I can with my husband, even if we're not doing anything more exciting that just sitting in the same room reading the newspaper or watching the golfers outside our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment